Welcome to the blog for English 2353! Throughout the spring semester, we will use this blog as a forum for responding to and analyzing the novels we will be reading. In addition to in-class participation, your contributions to this blog will be assessed as part of your final grade. I will also be using the blog as a way to make class announcements, post handouts or sample papers, describe assignments and respond to questions.
My expectations are that you will contribute to this blog with the same degree of respect, thoughtfulness, and intellect that you use in making oral contributions to class discussion. Please "attend" this blog regularly between our class meetings and contribute a minimum of once a week (we'll set up a schedule in class). Identify your posts either with your name or an identifiable version of your name (e.g., "Sally H.").
Let me know if you have any questions!
Hello! I'm Rachel Hancock, born and raised in El Dorado, AR. I run, play soccer, and work at Barnes and Noble. If any of you visit BN, come say 'hi'. See you in class!
ReplyDeleteHey all! My name is Candi Metzger. I am an English/Journalism major in my junior year and I'm trying to catch up on the English classes I need to take. You may see me running out of class right at 2:20 every day. I have a six year old in first grade in Bentonville that I have to pick up by 3:00 and it takes every single minute to get there on time from class. I knew I would be cutting it close but I had a terrible time with my schedule this semester so I had to do it this way. Yay for stress, right?!
ReplyDeleteHi all. I'm Brittany Evans, a Junior English major from Hot Springs, AR. I haven't really looked long and hard at much modern amer. lit, so this class should be good for me. I hope you all enjoy it as well!
ReplyDeleteUmm random, fun facts: I could eat macaroni and cheese every day. I love sparkly earrings. HUGE Steelers fan. I love making lists and crossing things out when I'm done. Oh, I always make room for dessert. See you around!
To whom it may, or may not, concern,
ReplyDeleteMy name is Max Gutierrez, and I am a Junior English major most recently from the Springdale, AR area. I personally think that our conception of modernity is merely relative to our point in time. That is, the artists of the medieval period, or any other for that matter, could be described as modern and avant garde for their time. Other than ESA stuff, I am an officer in PRIDE, the LGBTA (etc) support RSO.
Some (maybe not so) fun facts: I am quite the amateur chef/cook, I enjoyed Julie & Julia the most out of the movies I have seen in the last year (thank you Meryl Streep and the post-war Paris setting), and my personal library is almost as large as some of the largest Western European libraries (minus the Caliph's library in Cordoba and other such behemoths of the time) during the early to mid Middle Ages.
Hey all,
ReplyDeleteMy name is Alex Shirley. I'm a Junior History major from Conway, AR. I like soccer as well, and I'm a huge Dallas Cowboys fan.
Fun Fact: I don't step on cracks in the sidewalk, and I have a phobia of cotton balls.
Hey,
ReplyDeleteMy name is Andy Tatum. I am a Junior English major from scenic Rogers, AR. I am huge fan of movies and the artwork that goes into the making of a film. I try to be a soccer player in my spare time and have always enjoyed the outdoors.
My latest venture in life is to learn to play the piano. If anyone has tips, they will be much appreciated.
Hello,
ReplyDeleteI'm Jesse Ray, Senior English Major (finally) from right here in Fayetteville. I am more into the creative writing side of the English department and am always looking for good critics for my work. This is where you can find most of it. Read it if you have some time, I know how crazy school gets, but I love to hear what people say. http://downtherabbithole-whatrabbit.blogspot.com/
On that note I am a HUGE Lewis Carroll fan. I work at Best Buy in Fayetteville and spend the time I am not reading/writing/school, at the White Rabbit.
As always,
Jesse Ray
Hey everyone,
ReplyDeleteMy name is Sam Sherman, and I'm from Corpus Christi, Texas. Two years ago I was planning on majoring in English-Creative Writing, but after taking the three creative writing classes I decided to change my major to Philosophy. After about thirty hours of Philosophy, I still have no idea what is going on in any of my classes, so my thesis is probably going to suck. While applying for graduation, my adviser told me that I needed one survey class to qualify for an English minor, so that's why I'm here.
I like to gamble, watch football, play golf, and gamble on football and golf.
Hey—my name is Amy Brashear; I’m from Dodge City, Kansas. I’m a senior English major, and this is my LAST semester, yay! I want to get a job in book publishing. I plan on applying to publishing courses for this summer at NYU, Columbia, and Denver. Then hopefully get a job in the industry. My favorite author is Truman Capote, I love “Breakfast at Tiffany’s” and “In Cold Blood” – “In Cold Blood” though has to be my favorite! I lived in Garden City, which is right next door to Holcomb, so I knew the Clutter farmhouse, where the murders took place, quite well. I always loved hearing the stories of when Harper Lee and Truman Capote arrived in town to “investigate” the murders. It’s interesting because even though the murderers have already been tried and executed, many citizens still believe that the teenage girl’s boyfriend did the crime. Anyway, I’m looking forward to this class, especially reading some more material by Ishmael Reed, I’ve read his book, “Flight to Canada” for Dr. Tucker’s class, and loved it. If you haven’t read it, read it! See y’all in class… Amy
ReplyDeleteWell, here I am. My name is David Morledge and I'm an English major taking the scenic route through school. I'm a huge fan of comics and tend to be a big nerd. My fiancée and I are getting married on October 10th of this year. For everybody: that's 10-10-10. Oddly enough, if you translate that into binary it comes out to be 42. If anyone has read any Doug Adams, or for that matter just watched the movie, then you know that 42 happens to be "the answer." This, of course, deligts Katherine (her name) and I to no end. She's a bit of a nerd herself. That's about all I got.
ReplyDeleteHello everyone! My name is Ashley Proctor and I am, like many of you, an English major. I transferred to the U of A last fall from Richland College(a small college in Dallas Texas)and I love it so far. I enjoy writting poetry, usually as a way to vent about some issue I may be having at the time. I find most poetry beautifully fascinating, Shakespeare being one of my favorites. I'd eventually like to use my degree to teach senior english or a creative writing course. If I can ever find the patience I'd also like to write a book. Anyway that's enough about me! Can't wait to see what the semester has to offer!
ReplyDeleteHey guys, my name is Jeremy Sparkman. I'm from Prairie Grove Arkansas, we had 2,400 people and one stop light. I am a senior (plus some) English major but fully believe people who graduate in four years didn't have enough fun with their college experience haha. I am involved in the local slam poetry scene so I will be relentlessly promoting shows all semester. And I am looking forward to this class because it seems to be the only highlight of my schedule this semester. Thanks ya'll, look forward to seein ya in class. Sparkman
ReplyDeleteHey everybody, my name is Michael Aguilar. I'm from Bentonville, Arkansas and a junior creative writing major, but I want to be a doctor so I'm pre-med as well. I haven't spent my whole three years at the UofA, I was in Kansas City for the first two at Rockhurst University where I played soccer. It was lame so I'm back home where the fun is. I'm obsessed with music, mostly indie-rock, and I love Razorback basketball. I'm looking forward to reading and writing with everybody. See you in class.
ReplyDeleteMichael
Hi, my name is Stuart Kinley. I am a freshman, and I'm considering pursuing an English major but have no idea in which area. I am from Little Rock, Arkansas. I like dogs.
ReplyDeleteHi! My name is Tyler Sudderth, and I am a senior creative writing major. I am from Dallas, Texas, but love the small town, southern feel of Fayetteville. I was recently the president of my Fraternity here on campus, and have been actively involved with IFC and the associated student government. I love poetry and fiction, but I really enjoy writing creative nonfiction.
ReplyDeleteHello, my name is Whitni Hudspeth. I'm from Lamar, Arkansas. I should be graduating this semester but I lost a ton of hours transferring here from Arkansas Tech University in Russellville. I'm an English major, so of course I love to read.
ReplyDeleteI like to ride motorcycles, I just purchased one of my own in October, and I like to go out and have a good time. Other than that I just work. The end.
Hello, Hello, Hello. My name is Justin Crowley, but people usually just call me "Justin." I moved around a lot while growing up (a victim of my father's corporate nomadism) and have continued that itinerant lifestyle now that I am a grown-ass-man, so to speak. I should be bringing my never-ending nightmare undergrad adventure to a close in about a year here so hooray for that. I enjoy playing music and am a degenerate bibliophile whose superabundant book collection, I dare say, vastly dwarfs that of the aforementioned Cordoban Caliph. I like UFC, KFC, and other assorted acronyms. I'm looking forward to the class (particularly because there are certain people in my life who won't shut up about how I need to read The Road) and meeting some smart and interesting people.
ReplyDeleteHello, my name is Corrie Stocking. I'm majoring in English and overall pursuing a career in Law. I enjoy reading, but don’t get too much time to do so. There’s nothing better than reading on a rainy day. That’s about it.
ReplyDeleteHi y'all! My name is Jennifer Miller, but y'all can call me Jenn. I'm a should be Senior from Fort Smith, Arkansas; but, half way through my Sophomore year I decided to enroll in the School of Hard Knocks, as my family affectionately puts it, and afters a two year stint there "graduated with Honor" and a new appreciation for the value of that little piece of paper we're all after.
ReplyDeleteI'm now an English Major probably leaning
towards the creative writing side. I want to write a novel and a cook book. Random I know but somewhere on my road to a PhD, I will take another sabbatical and attend Culinary School and open a Winery. I'm costantly cooking and always up for a good dinner party or other excuse to cook. See y'all in class.
Jenn
Hello, my name is Sam Newbold I'm from Houston, Texas. And yes I am like most Texans in that I carry and enormous amount of native pride around with me everywhere I go. I am a freshman English major and so far really enjoy the whole "scene" of Fayetteville. It took me about two hours to figure this blog thing out...pathetic on my part, really.
ReplyDeleteSam Newbold
I'm from Fayetteville. I am an English major and I plan on teaching literature and coaching basketball. My main interests are basketball and music. I play drum set, typically in rock, blues and funk settings.
ReplyDeleteHey there, everyone.My name is Whitney and I'm (yup you guessed it) another of those pesky English majors (gasp!) Hmm... Guess I'll just give out three random facts and call it good:
ReplyDelete1. I'm trying to learn to crochet. It's rather difficult since it's the only new skill I've tried to acquire in a while that doesn't involve words, writing, or reading in some way.
2. I'm a terrible procrastinator.
3. I'd rather hear about you than talk about me.
So, it's great to meet you all and I look forward to our class. Have a great one!
Hello! My name is Bethany Boyd and I am a Child Development major. I hope to one day become a child counselor and work in Burkina Faso, or another area in West Africa. I love cooking, running, painting, and the piano. I'm excited to continue getting to know everyone in class! Hope everyones' first few weeks are going well. : )
ReplyDeleteHi. My name is Mac Stephen. I'm majoring in biology, anthropology, and latin american studies, with a minor in english. My last experience in an english class was Dr. Richard Adams' Early American Lit. course. If any of you had him, we likely have a lot to talk about, mostly about him rather than the course itself. I'm currently battling it out with medical school interviews and will be a very irregular guest to class until the end of February as a result. But when I am in class, I apologize in advance for the clicking I will make as a computerized note-taker.
ReplyDeleteHey. My name is Libby Young, Elizabeth on the roster. I'm an English-Creative Writing major with an Art minor. I hate public speaking so you probably won't hear me in class. I normally steer towards fantasy fiction, so modern literature is a little new for me. I guess that's about it.
ReplyDeleteHey. My name is Taylor Cogan and I am a Psychology major. I love to read and that is why I am taking this class.
ReplyDeleteI guess I have the pleasure of rounding out the introductions. Successfully posting to the blog has proved a greater chore than expected.
ReplyDeleteMy name is Geoffrey Storm. I'm a Junior English + Political Science major from Tulsa, OK. I'd say that I am really in to Sports, Lit, and Politics, but that tag could probably be applied to most fields of entertainment. I feel like I hold just enough interest in ranging topics to make a fool of myself in conversation... My favorite book is "All the King's Men" by Robert Penn Warren, and I especially like both political and southern literature.